Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Edmonton: Past and Present

     My sense of Edmonton has not necessarily changed too much over the years, even though my location within it has. Having lived in this city my entire life, I've developed a kind of love/hate relationship with it – emphasis on the hate.

     When I was younger “my Edmonton” spanned a total of about ten blocks and every arena in the city. Any time not spent being shipped to and fro, skating rink to skating rink, was spent running around the neighbourhood (snowball fights in the winter, water fights in the summer). The community I grew up in, Ottewell, is tightly knit one. The local ODR (outdoor rink for those not in the know) was run by the father of one of my best friends. There my brother and I, along with our friends, and our friends' friends spent hours freezing our toes off. To this day I have limited feeling in my left pinky toe, the result of frostbite I'm sure.

     Years later, I now live in a one bedroom apartment just of of Whyte Ave with my partner. I suppose that although years have passed, “my Edmonton” still spans about ten blocks give or take. I live, work, learn, and play in an area not much bigger than the one I grew up in. Instead of my small elementary school, I now attend the University of Alberta along with roughly thirty-thousand others. The ODR has been replaced by a number of restaurants, tea shops, bars, and theatres around the avenue. My employment has also changed- Babysitting just doesn't pay what it used to. I now work in one of the many bookstores along Whyte.

Although my life is, and always has been, very convenient, I wish to expand my city limits. I want to walk through new neighbourhoods, and explore different buildings. I think it's about time.

* In the spirit of this blog post I have made two “Top 3” lists- one of places I currently love to visit, and another of places I might like to check out in the near future.

Top Three Places to Visit in Edmonton:

  1. River Valley
Wonderfully romantic in any season, the river valley is Edmonton's diamond in the rough.

     2.Steeps Tea Lounge

If you like mismatched furniture and fancy tea cups you will love steeps. Some days you might even be lucky enough to catch some live music or a poetry reading.

     3.Varscona Theatre (for Rapid Fire Improv)

Too many people don't know about Rapid Fire Improv. This must change. If you're in the mood for a laugh spend $10 Fridays at 11pm and catch some theatresports! You won't regret it- trust me. Arrive half an hour early, many shows sell out.

Top Three Places I Would Like to Visit in Edmonton:

     1. Glenora Community
A consequence of taking public transit is passing by gorgeous neighbourhoods like this one and saying to myself “I'm going to walk around here one day”. So far that day has never come. Here's hoping it will.

     2. Duchess Bakeshop/ Famoso Pizza

Both food establishments I have wanted to go to for a while. The Duchess famous for their pastries, Famoso famous for their pizza.

     3.Charles Camsell hospital

Closed, creepy, and condemned, this hospital is known for its “paranormal” happenings. I'd like to find out for myself.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you have areas in mind that you are already eager to explore—and your mentioning of "new neighbourhoods," reinforced how no matter how old the buildings are (like in Glenora) it is our own experience that are significant. Speaking of Glenora, don't forget to grab some pie at Vi's for Pies and stop by the fountain in Alexander Circle (a suggestion for a preferably warmer time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you visit the Camsell sometime, check out the didactic panel about it on 127th street and 114th ave (or is that 115th ave?): you can see pix from when it was the army hospital in WW2 and when it was the tuberculosis hospital for Aboriginals in the '50s and '60s.

    ReplyDelete